In support of National Hot Chocolate Day, we’ve put together 5 healthy reasons to eat chocolate and why it is actually good for you. So next time you have a crappy day at work, those infamous boy problems, or simply want to give in to those oh-so-delicious cravings, then grab a piece of good chocolate and go for it!
- It’s a Mood Booster: Think chocolate makes you feel better? Well, it actually does, for a reason! Chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), which consequentially is the same chemical that your brain makes when you fall in love. PEA triggers your brain to release feel-good endorphins, creating that happy buzz running through your body.
- Your Brain’s a Fan: Cocoa is high in flavanols, which have shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. In some studies, chocolate has proven to reduce inflammation in brain injuries like concussions, and improve memory loss with seniors. The darker the chocolate, the more flavanols, so buy quality dark chocolate!
- Cholesterol Friendly: Flavanols to the rescue again! Dark chocolate reduces “bad cholesterol” levels and boosts the “good”!
- It’s Heart Healthy: We know chocolate already makes your heart go boom boom boom, but research has shown a correlation between chocolate and a decrease in heart disease. Women who ate one to two ounces of chocolate per week decreased their chances of heart failure by 32% when compared to women who didn’t eat any chocolate.
- It’s Jam Packed with Nutrients: That’s right…dare we say “healthy”?! Chocolate is high in fiber, iron, potassium, magnesium, and more.
Lastly, we couldn’t leave you without offering up two Dark Hot Chocolate recipes from some favorite blogs around the web.