With Summer comes a youthful, spontaneous mentality that opens doors to new opportunities, experiences, and the discovery of new activities and hobbies. This is a season to take advantage of warm weather, sunny days, and the time to challenge yourself to do something new. Here are five new summer activities you need to try this year!
- Paddle Yoga: Yoga is challenging, peaceful, and a powerful connection between mind, body, and spirit. Add the element of water, and all of those benefits are magnified – extra challenging, wonderfully peaceful with gently rocking waves, and the opportunity to practice, get a little wet, and have some fun.
- Fitness in the Park: Many cities and towns host free or donation based fitness classes for the community during the summer months; maybe a brewery is holding a bend & brew yoga class, or your favorite clothing store is having a free bootcamp. Follow your favorite places on social media or check on events through eventbrite or meet up to discover what’s happening in your neck of the woods!
- Go Camping: Hey, no eye rolling allowed – you can’t knock it till you try it. Some of you may have read this and gotten excited, while others view with apprehension. For first timers, plan an easy overnight with good friends, a “cozy” campground with picnic tables, firepits, bathrooms, and a stellar view of the sky.
- Grow a Garden: Whether it’s a full veggie bed or a few pots with herbs and tomatoes, there’s an undeniable sense of pride that comes from eating something you grew. Start off with easy crops, check out our newbie tips, and find your green thumb!
- Get Caught in a Summer Storm: Okay, this may not be an actual activity as opposed to an “oops” moment, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be special. The smell of summer rain cooling off the day, inducing laughter and giggles from it’s intensity and rapid downpour, and the brief moment it reminds you of childhood, is simple and guaranteed to make you smile.