A champagne toast is the quintessential way to celebrate the new year with friends and family!
2017 will be a time for new beginnings and the chance to start off the year with positivity and love. With this in mind, we devised the perfect champagne cocktail with a twist – keeping the old tradition alive, while adding new flavor for the future. This grapefruit thyme champagne cocktail has the perfect amount of sweetness with a kick of citrus zest, and will be sure to leave your guests smiling!
Grapefruit Thyme Champagne Cocktail
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, plus a few for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grated grapefruit zest
- juice of 4 grapefruits
- grapefruit wedges for garnish (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups Tito’s vodka (or your favorite vodka)
- Combine 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add 1 bunch of thyme to the pan; cover and reduce to a simmer. After 10 minutes, remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and grapefruit zest in a small dish and set aside.
- Dip champagne glass rims in water and dip in the grapefruit sugar.
- Add ice, 3/4 cup of grapefruit juice, 1/4 cup of vodka, and 1/4 cup of thyme syrup to each glass. Stir gently, then top each glass with champagne and your garnish of choice!
Cheers to the New Year!