Why should Summer get all the barbecue lovin’? Eight months out of the year all of the cooks, foodies, and backyard enthusiasts patiently wait for BBQ season, where the checkered table cloths are weighed down with juicy smoked meats, fresh tomato salads, and sweet summer corn. We’re strong believers in utilizing what’s in season, but that doesn’t mean we can’t create a kickass winter barbecue worthy of competing with the king of summer cookouts; read on, take notes, and start drooling!
Disclaimer: The hungrier we got, the shorter our descriptions – must. eat. food.
Burgers, dawgs, & some kind of wonderful.
Nothing says ‘barbecue’ like a burger; but this time, dress it up a bit with some winter veggies, warm, savory flavors, or skip the traditional beef all together!
- Gingery Steak & Brie Sliders with Balsamic Cranberry Sauce by Half Baked Harvest: If you don’t know, now you know! HBH is our go-to-girl when it comes to anything over-the-top-delicious, or as Guy Fieri would say, she’s Flavortown, USA. This steak burger can make it’s way to our table any time of the year.
- Tzatziki Lamb Burgers by SippitySup: the depth of flavors within the ground lamb meat, complemented with the fresh mint and tzatziki sauce is perfection.
- Bahn Mi Hot Dogs by My Name Is Yeh: Asian “barbecue”, duh. Okay, the hot dog may have snuck in on a technicality, but this fancy dawg is worth the bite!
Sandwich Haters Dream: Main Event x2
For those who prefer something besides a sandwich-esque type meal, fear not! These rich and tangy barbecue recipes evoke winter’s best, and are great for game day.
- Crockpot Carne Asada Beer Chili by Half Baked Harvest: We can’t promise this will be the last time we mention her; this flavorful chili recipe is sure to heat things up with spicy jalepenos to remind us of those warm, summer days.
- Grilled Mushroom & Talleggio Pizza by Food 52: Earthy mushrooms, and strong cheese – yes please! Grill the crust to perfection, and oops – we just drooled on our keyboard.
- Hot Sausage & Crispy Chard Pizza by Bon Appetit: All hail the queen of the foodie mags – this winter herb & veggie filled pizza is crisp with all that’s right in the world.
- Grilled Fish with Martha Stewart: Using snapper or sea bass is easier for winter grilling because it doesn’t need to be tended to often. Martha, always the practical one!
Best Supporting Acts
Good side dishes and fresh greens are delicious themselves, but also assist in making the whole meal come together. Use what’s fresh and available at your local market, and substitute as needed!
- Lemony Smoked Trout Dip by Bon Appetit: If you haven’t had smoked trout (or smoked bluefish) then you are 100% missing out! This scent will lure you into it’s clutches and make you a believer.
- Apple Cabbage Slaw with Pomegranates by Bourbon and Honey: Seasonal, seasonal, seasonal – check! Fresh, citrusy, and sweet – these flavors will lighten up your hearty BBQ meal!
- Crispy Kale Salad with Cranberries, Shallots, & an Egg, by My Name Is Yeh: Because yeh, an egg.
- Roasted Winter Squash & Pomegranate Salad by Wild Greens and Sardines: These salads are on another level and should be too good to be true.
Saved the Best For Last
We gotta get this in quick, because our stomachs are growling and our mouths are yelling “gimme, gimme”!!
- Matcha Oreas by My Name Is Yeh: We’re on the matcha green tea train, are you?!