Some mornings you wake up and instantly think… “Namaste in bed.” And that’s alright, but you know and I know that getting yourself to your mat is the hardest part. Once you’re there, some sense of release is guaranteed. In other words, get your yoga bum out of bed and do this quick balance challenge – your morning will be better for it. 🙂
Crow Pose (Bakasana):
Begin in Child’s pose. Settle in & sink into your mat, preparing to wake up your muscles & ignite your senses.
- Push through table top into Adho-Mukha Svanasana/Downward Facing Dog.
- Walk your feet up behind your wrists; Slightly bend your arms, elbows in (Chatarunga arms), and place your knees on your triceps.
- Preparing for Crow/Bakasana, keep your drishti (gaze) forward to the top of your mat and begin to shift your weight forward into your hands.
- Lift one toe, then the other – play around with your balance here!
- Eventually fly your crow, bringing both big toes to touch.
- If you fall out, try again!
- When that feels complete, shoot your legs back into Chatarunga (the worst you can do is fall and good thing your mat is only a few inches away).
- Inhale, shining your heart forward for Urdhva Mukha Svanasana/Upward Facing Dog, exhale hips to the sky for Adho-Mukha Svanasana/Downward Facing Dog.
That should get your blood pumping first thing in the morning, and wake you up even before your first cup of coffee!